How does a company navigate global economic challenges, rising interest rates, and geopolitical tensions, while still ensuring it delivers sustainable value over the long term? In this fourth episode of SIEWCast, hosted by Money FM’s Michelle Martin, join the conversation with Kyung-Ah Park, Head of ESG Investment Management and Managing Director of Sustainability at Temasek as she discusses the company’s approach to sustainability and its strategies for a greener future.
In this episode, we discuss…
- Temasek’s leadership in Asia’s energy transition
- Sustainable living as a key trend and the investment opportunities it presents
- Significance of blended finance in financing marginally bankable renewable energy projects
- Importance of partnerships and collaboration in advancing clean energy solutions
Temasek’s commitment as a long-term generational investor influences its approach to addressing the climate crisis and environmental challenges.
Sustainability is not just about doing good, but also about achieving financial returns, environmental protection, and societal benefits.
Sustainable Living being one of the structural trends which Temasek strategically allocates capital to drive sustainable solutions.
Internalising a carbon price ensures its investments are long-term resilient in the face of growing climate concerns.
Blended finance, involving public and private sectors, is critical in de-risking and scaling renewable energy projects.
Temasek employs various approaches to engage and encourage portfolio companies in reducing carbon emissions and transitioning to more sustainable practices.
Partnerships and collaborations play a vital role in mobilising capital. To support these collaborative efforts, it is essential to leverage a wide range of financial tools.
Everyone has a role to play towards a greener future.
About our guest
Ms Kyung-Ah Park is Head of ESG Investment Management, and Managing Director of Sustainability at Temasek. She is responsible for integrating ESG across Temasek's investment portfolio, working closely with investment teams on portfolio company engagements and ESG investments, to drive portfolio resiliency and sustainable value. She also oversees and supports the firm’s sustainability strategy, to advance the net zero pathway and inclusive growth.
Ms Park has over two decades of experience in the finance industry, the majority of which was dedicated to building and leading the global environmental markets initiatives at Goldman Sachs. She was most recently Managing Director and the Head of Environmental Markets and Innovation in the Sustainable Finance Group. She also served as a member of the firm's Sustainable Finance Steering Group and was the Head of the Center for Environmental Markets. She joined Goldman Sachs in Mergers & Acquisitions in New York and was an Executive Director in the Advisory Group in Hong Kong and a Vice President in the Industrials Group. Prior to Goldman Sachs, she was a management consultant at McKinsey in Seoul, Korea and Johannesburg, South Africa.
Ms Park has an MBA from Harvard Business School and a BA from Yonsei University in South Korea. She serves on the boards of ClimateWorks Foundation and Resources for the Future and is an advisory member for New York University's Center for Sustainable Business. She is also a non-executive board director of Clifford Capital Holdings.
- Temasek launches GenZero, an investment platform company aimed at accelerating decarbonisation globally [07:07]
- Pentagreen signs deal to bridge US$30 million funding gap for Philippine solar projects [10:39]
- Bringing Distributed District Cooling to our town centres – A cool solution for a greener Singapore [13:17]
- Temasek to invest in new fund under Bill Gates-backed Breakthrough Energy Ventures [15:12]
- Temasek and BlackRock launch decarbonization investment partnership [15:31]
- Temasek among investors in Brookfield's $9.5 billion global energy transition fund [15:58]
- Origin suitors sign binding deed, GIC and Temasek in stack [16:08]
You can find the transcript of this episode here.
- Sign up for the SIEW newsletter to get notified about future SIEWCast episodes straight to your inbox.
- Save the Date for the Singapore International Energy Week (SIEW) 2024, taking place on 21 - 25 October.
This SIEWCast episode is brought to you by Singapore International Energy Week and Money FM 89.3, in partnership with ExxonMobil.